“This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham. Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar.” – Matthew 1:1-3
- Is Tamar’s story one you are familiar with? If not, why? If yes, how have you understood her situation?
- In the ancient world, women were marginalized and virtually powerless. How would that dynamic impact Tamar? While her choices were wrong, can you see why she acted the way she did?
- Do similar dynamics occur in our world today? If yes, how?
- What are some of the other life-stories in Jesus’ genealogy are you familiar with? Which ones and what do they tell you about the heart of God?
- How do the realities behind the genealogy connect to your life?