“You’ve heard it was said to people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you’ve made.’ But I tell you, DO NOT swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it’s God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.” – Matthew 5:33-37
“Yes and No”
1. In this portion of his sermon, is there anything Jesus said that particularly stands out to you?
2. How have you understood the idea of “swearing oaths” and “making vows?”
3. Why does telling the truth and keeping your word matter so much to God? Others? Our world?
4. When was the last time you were less than honest with someone? When was the last time you failed to keep a commitment?
5. Do others see you as a trustworthy person? Why or why not?